Gymnema sylvestre is also known as gurmar because of its ability to destroy sugar. It is a medicinal herb that is used to cure several diseases like infection, hypercholesterolemia, indigestion, diabetes, and cardiopathy. Aside from its medicinal attributes, gymnema sylvestre can also reduce the sugar cravings of people with type 2 diabetes. It is a medicinal herb which is approved to have many healing properties.
What people with diabetes can expect from Gymnema Sylvestre:
- Regeneration of the pancreatic beta cells.
- Controlled sugar cravings.
- Blood sugar homeostasis.
- Body fat and weight reduction.
How it works:
Gymnema sylvestre is an herbal therapy that can treat both types of Diabetes. This wonderful herb acts by regenerating and repairing the beta cells of the pancreas where insulin is produced. Controlled blood sugar levels lasting for several months were associated with the herb gymnema.
- A clinical trial was conducted to determine the pharmacologic properties of the herb. Results show that rats treated with gymnema sylvestre had the same blood sugar level compared to those who were treated with insulin1. The results were also the same when people participated in the clinical trial2.
- On further analysis, researchers discovered that the herb can repair and regenerate the beta cells of the pancreas. It also stimulates the natural production of the insulin by the pancreas after regeneration. This healing property of gymnema sylvestre was demonstrated by an increased insulin levels after gymnema supplementation.3
Controlled sugar cravings
Gymnema sylvestre contains gurmarin, a biochemical component which modifies the ability of the tongue’s perception of sweet and bitter flavors. A study conducted in India revealed that the atomic arrangement of the herb blocks the sugar receptors of taste buds. As a result, sugar taste buds are not stimulated even with sugar intake.1
Blood sugar homeostasis
The medicinal herb can also maintain the blood sugar homeostasis for type 1 and 2 diabetes. This therapeutic effect of gymnema sylvestre is associated with its ability to repair the beta cells of the pancreas.
- A study tried to evaluate the hypoglycemic effect of gymnema sylvestre in patients diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Twenty-seven patients participated and were administered with 400mg of gymnema extracts per day. On follow-up patients who were given gymnema extracts reported a decreased insulin requirement.2
Body fat and weight reduction
Aside from its popular anti-diabetic constituents, gymnema sylvestre is also effective against obesity. Hexane extracts from the leaves of gymnema sylvestre is the bioactive component responsible for fat and weight reduction.
- A study tested the ability of gymnema hexane extracts to treat obesity and hyperlipidemia. Rats were used as subjects and were first fed with a high cholesterol diet. Hexane extracts were continuously administered for 45 days. Results show that the rats had an increased basal metabolic rate leading to significant weight reduction.
Gymnema sylvestre has a lot of healing properties that can help people with type 1 and 2 diabetes. It stimulates beta pancreatic cells to regenerate. Endogenous or natural insulin production results after gymnema repair the pancreas. It also addresses other symptoms associated with diabetes like sugar cravings and obesity.
- Tiwari, P., Mishra, B., et.al. BioMed Research International. 2014. DOI: 10.1155/2014/830285.
- Shanmugasundaram, E., Rajeswari, G., et.al. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 1990, 30(3):281-294.
- Baskaran, K., Ahamath, B., et.al. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 1990 Vol. 30 No. 3 pp. 295-305